Sunday, January 6, 2008

Preachin' to the choir.

I read somewhere, not too long ago that pastors should stop preaching the salvation message in church. That the people in church are already Christians, so therefore don't need to hear the gospel message Sunday after Sunday.

I thought about this, then I realized something.

Not everyone who goes to church is a Christian. There may be someone there who has sat in the same pew, week after week, for years, and never understood, never accepted, never believed.

There may be a guest there who never heard the gospel.

Or some one's teenage child who is headed towards the wrong path.

Or how about the husband of the faithful wife who has attended for years and suddenly he decides to go to church to see what his wife is getting out of it.

It says in the Bible to go out and preach the gospel to the world. Where is the world?

It's in our very own backyards, our local grocery stores, our neighbors homes. It's in our schools, our workplaces, and recreational facilities. It's on the streets, in libraries, it's anywhere where there are people who need Jesus. And yes, it's even in our churches.

People get saved where ever Jesus meets them, even in Church. And there are unbelievers in church, in all churches, all across the world.

Yes, there are Christians in churches, but how many are really Christians?

Only God knows the heart of man.

I am a Christian, one that struggles at times, one that sins, imperfect, yet I know that Jesus loves me unconditionally.

I have sat in church and listened to the message of salvation many times, and have never ever once got tired of hearing it. I always learn something, even if it's just one small gem that God lays on my heart.

And as a child who didn't know God, who didn't even know who Jesus was, church was where I first heard the message.

I hope preachers everywhere, no matter their title, Pastor, Minister, Reverend, or even Layman, keep preachin' to that choir the message of salvation, of Christ's sacrifice, of the hope that He gives us, because sometimes one person in the choir just doesn't know the words.

And one soul is very much worth it.