Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Just stop.


Feeling a bit overwhelmed with Christmas just a week away, a list a mile long, being sick and having to work everyday, this morning I just wanted to cry.


I went to pick Boo up from school to take her to her internship, and as I sat in the car waiting, I looked up.


The sky was a clear blue, with big puffy clouds hovering here and there, and for that moment, time seemed suspended and I realized that sometimes we just need to stop and be still.


Stop and notice what is all around us, the beauty of nature, the blue sky, the squirrel climbing the tree, and other things, like a baby's smile, or the lonely, poor, cold man walking down the street. Sometimes, we need to stop and just say Thank You.


Thank You that I have a mind to think and reason.


Thank You that I have a heart to love with.


Thank You that I have arms to hug with and hands to work with.


Thank You for my eyes that can see beauty.


Thank You for my ears to hear.


And Thank You for my nose to smell the aroma of food and flowers.


Sometimes we get so busy with all the life things, worry and stress, work, family and friends, school, bills, money or lack of, constantly going, pressuring ourselves to keep going, keep performing, keep striving, that we forget to stop.


We forget to reflect, we see but we don't observe, we hear but we don't listen, we say we love, but we don't show it, we, well, we get so wrapped up in the busyness of our lives, in the problems, the activities, the things, that we often overlook the most important things.


Sometimes we just need to stop.


Be still.


Reflect.


Observe.


Listen.


Love.


And give thanks.